Causes of Hearing Loss
- Inherited from parents or acquired from illness.
- Ototoxic (ear damaging) drugs
- Very Loud noise (Noise Induced hearing loss) can cause permanent loss of hearing.
- Otosclerosis (middle ear disease)
- Tumor (Acoustic Neuroma)
- Physical injuries
- Presbycusis (loss of hearing due to aging process)
- Otitis Media , inflammation of the middle ear due to build-up of fluid
- Congenital causes, hearing loss present at birth.
- Acquired causes, hearing loss after birth
ex. Meningitis, Measles, Mumps